Friday, September 10, 2010

Psalm 63

So I kick back last night to watch my Bulldogs play Auburn (didn't turn out so good, but thats nothing new for MS State fans). But anyways, right before the game I spent some time after work praying and flipping through some verses then landed on this one. Stabbed me like a knife.

Psalm 63:1 "O God, You are my God; earnestly I seek You; my soul thirsts for You; my flesh faints for You, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water."

Quick Thoughts...

1. What an amazing verse! Context - David is "in the wilderness" and yet the FIRST thing he says is "earnestly I seek YOU"... not stuff, not help, not food, not water, or deliverance... nope all that comes later. He says God I want YOU! In fact Lord I'm starving for YOU - not Your stuff but YOU!

2. Pretty familair passage for me. I have noticed that Scripture that I am familair with tends to become cold to me, unless I constantly trust in the Holy Spirit to guide me into all truth.

3. Something in this verse arrested my attention and I felt that the Lord was about to teach me something. So I just started prayerfully reading it over and over and over ... slow then fast... quite then loud... and to my surprise the more I read it instead of the passage getting sweeter and sweeter ... I felt more disconnected and more disconnected. For some reason, as I got more and more honest with myself I just couldn't relate. And then it hit me (Heb 4:12). I remembered that God knows my heart and nothing about me is hidden from Him.

Psalm 63 is an incredible prayer of David, but it was a lie for Dustin. He knows if I'm lying to Him. He knows if I just try to parrot David's prayer back to Him. I knew at that moment that: I could read it over and over again, I could even memorize the verse, quote it to someone, or repeat it back as a prayer to the Lord - but that didn't make it any truer for me.

He knows if I "earnestly" seek Him.

He knows if my "soul thirsts" for Him.

And He knows if my flesh "faints" for Him (like a person stranded in the Sahara desert faints for water!)

Hebrews 4:12-13 "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account."

So there I was exposed by the Word of God ... don't you love when that happens :) The conviction of a loving Heavenly Father!

How do you stack up to David's prayer? I am having to walk into confession and repentance... you are welcome to join me.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment